The British Canoeing Awarding Body Advanced Canoe Leader award demonstrates a candidate has entered the top level of performance, involving a high level of personal skill, leadership ability and judgement to lead groups of up to four solo paddlers or three tandem crews on advanced river journeys and on remote, exposed open waters in open canoe.
It is the appropriate test for paddlers who wish to lead groups of paddlers with a range of experience on advanced white water and advanced open water.
Advanced Canoe Leader Overview
3-day Training / 2-day Assessment
Optional and free-of-charge. Leadership eLearning
You have 3 years to complete the course
- Relevant Leadership Training: Advanced Canoe Leader training within previous 3 years
- First Aid Award: Recognised 2-day First Aid within last 3 years
- Registration Fee: £39 for British Canoeing Members
- Age: 18 years of age, or older
Finding an Advanced Canoe Leader Course
To find a course in your area, contact your Delivery Centre by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
Core Skills Covered
The Advanced Canoe Leader course content covers the following:
Part A – Personal Paddling Skills
Part B – Rescue Skills
Part C – Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
Part D – Theory
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the Advanced Canoe Leader Syllabus.
Methods of Assessment
Assessments normally run over two days, including two evening exercises.
- Inland: Large areas of open water which exceed Moderate Inland Water and/or have winds in excess of Beaufort force 4.
- White Water: Grade 3(4) white water for canoe.
If these conditions are not available, then an assessment cannot take place.
Upon completion of the Assessment, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification.
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the Advanced Canoe Leader Assessment Notes.