The British Canoeing Awarding Body Advanced White Water OC1 Leader award demonstrates a candidate has entered the top level of performance. It involves a high level of personal skill, leadership ability and judgement to lead groups of paddlers with a range of experience, up to and including advanced white water OC1.
Advanced White Water OC1 Leader Overview
2-day Training / 2-day Assessment
Optional and free-of-charge. Leadership eLearning
You have 3 years to complete the course
- Relevant Leadership Training: Advanced White Water OC1 Leader training within previous 3 years
- Relevant Safety Training: Advanced White Water Safety & Rescue
- First Aid Award: Recognised 2-day First Aid within last 3 years
- Registration Fee: £39 for British Canoeing Members
- Age: 18 years of age, or older
Finding an Advanced White Water OC1 Leader Course
To find a course in your area, contact your Delivery Centre by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
It is the appropriate test for paddlers who wish to lead groups of paddlers on advanced river journeys in white water kayaks.
Core Skills Covered
The Advanced White Water OC1 Leader course content covers the following:
Part A – Personal Paddling Skills
Part B – Rescue Skills
Part C – Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
Part D – Theory
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the Advanced White Water OC1 Syllabus.
Methods of Assessment
Assessment are normally run over two days and take place on sections of white water, which must include suitable river journeys.
The rivers used must be advanced white water (rivers up to and including grade 4/5 with the overall standard of the run being grade 4) and include the following features:
- Variety of different types of eddies
- Surf waves and stoppers that include towbacks
- Wave trains and diagonals
- Technical paddling sections that require route choices to be made
- Running slides, drops and waterfalls
Upon completion of the Assessment, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification.
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the Advanced White Water OC1 Leader Assessment Notes.