The British Canoeing Awarding Body Canoe Leader Award shows you have the personal skill level required to lead a group of up to four solo canoe paddlers or three tandem canoe crews. This is in moderate white water and moderate inland water.
Canoe Leader Overview
2-day Training / 2-day Assessment
Optional Leadership eLearning
At the point of registration the following prerequisites are required:
- Relevant Leadership Training: Canoe Leader training within previous 3 years
- Relevant Safety Training: White Water Safety & Rescue training or (or Rescue 3 Whitewater Rescue Technician)
- First Aid Award: Recognised 2-day First Aid within last 3 years
- Registration Fee: £39 for British Canoeing Members
- Age: 16 years of age, or older
Please note: Candidates need to ensure their safety and rescue skills are current and up-to-date before presenting for an assessment; it is strongly advised that their WWSR training is recent to ensure this is the case.
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
The Canoe Leader course content emphasises the application of a variety of techniques appropriate for moving water, and exposed open water, requiring the paddler to perform appropriate and effective manoeuvres in real situations.
Broadly, this includes the following:
- Part A – Personal Paddling Skills
- Part B – Rescue Skills
- Part C – Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
- Part D – Theory
Methods of Assessment
Assessments are normally run over two days. The conditions for the assessment must include:
- Inland: Large areas of open water that exceed the sheltered water definition, where the paddlers are no more than 500 metres off shore and in wind strengths that do not exceed Beaufort force 4.
- White Water: Grade 2(3) white water or equivalent weirs.
Upon completion of the Assessment, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification.
Paddlesport Leader eLearning
You can access the free eLearning for this course here. The interactive Paddlesport Leader package will take you through some of the key principles behind the Awarding Body Model of Leadership.