The British Canoeing Awarding Body Coaching the Mind Intermediate Module is aimed at coaches, parents and paddlers interested in using psychology to improve performance in paddlesport.
It is recommended that participants have either completed the Foundation Module Coaching the Mind, or have previous knowledge of basic sport psychology including mental skills training, concentration, imagery and arousal.
Coaching the Mind (Intermediate) Overview
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
No registration required
Course Content and Structure
This Module begins with a quick recap of the topics covered in the Coaching the Mind Foundation Module, it then moves on to explore attention focus, imagery and arousal. Individual analysis methods, the use of self-talk and pre-performance routines are discussed and explained. While performance profiling tools and the use of goal setting are also covered, the Module finishes by exploring motivational factors, motivational climate and attributions. By the end of this Module, participants should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Reflect on, and develop an understanding of, performance and arousal
- Discuss application of control strategies such as attentional focus and imagery
- Explore factors and influences of personal motivation and how coaches can influence the motivational climate
- Investigate how personal thought can influence behaviour
- Discuss applications and limitations of performance enhancement techniques, including self-talk and pre-performance routines
- Discuss methods and purpose of ‘getting to know’ your performers
- Explore strategies of performer development, including goal setting and performance profiling
Upon completion of this Intermediate Module, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification. Your Delivery Centre will then issue an attendance certificate.
Find an Coaching the Mind (Intermediate) Course
To find a course in your area, visit your Delivery Centre website by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page.