The British Canoeing Awarding Body Coaching the Mind Foundation Module introduces coaches to the role of mental skills in paddlesport development and performance. This Module relates the area of mental skills training to coaching and paddler development. It covers the concepts of mental skills training, imagery training and concentration training to coaches in the paddlesport environment.
Coaching the Mind Overview
Aimed at Instructors, Coaches and Leaders
Finding a Coaching the Mind Course
To find a course in your area, contact your Delivery Centre by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page
To view the associated documents with this course, click here.
Course Content and Structure
By the end of this workshop, participants should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Understand the place and value of mental skills training in paddlesport
- Understand processes and practices necessary to develop mental skills
- Describe applications of imagery in paddlesport training and performance arenas
- Understand multi-sensory nature of imagery and internal/external perspectives
- Experience exercises in imagery training
- Understand the various styles of attentional focus and the appropriateness to paddlesport situations
- Experience exercises in concentration training
- Understand the concept of optimal arousal and its application within paddlesport
- Explore strategies for lowering arousal and practice a basic relaxation technique
- Explore strategies for raising arousal and practice a basic ‘psyching up’ technique
On completion of the ‘Coaching the Mind’ Foundation Module, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification. Your Delivery Centre will then issue an attendance certificate.