The British Canoeing Awarding Body ‘Marathon Racing’ Support Module explains the basic techniques and coaching strategies of marathon racing.
With the syllabi written to focus on coaches who are likely to be supporting athletes in their early development, the Module seeks to support good coaching practice in all appropriate environments. Paddling skills are not required. The Module is designed to assist coaches who want to gain more knowledge about the specialist discipline of marathon racing. It introduces and explains the basic techniques and coaching strategies of marathon racing.
Marathon Racing Support Module Overview
Register at least 2-weeks prior to the training course. At the point of registration, the following prerequisites are required:
- Registration Fee
- A British Canoeing Delivery Centre Coaching Qualification
- Age 16 years, or older
Find a Marathon Racing Support Module Course
To find a course in your area, contact your Delivery Centre by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page
To view the associated documents with this course, click here.
Course Content and Structure
By the end of this workshop, participants should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Understand the role of the British Canoeing Marathon Racing Committee, International Canoe Federation and competition framework
- Understand equipment design and its application to marathon racing
- Understand the basic physical and mechanical properties of selected muscles
- Be able to discuss and analyse selected movements and their application to marathon racing
- Be able to perform analysis of movement patterns and problem solving
- Be able to deliver practical activities to enhance students’ learning and understanding of movement
- Demonstrate student-centred learning and application of knowledge
Run over six hours, the course includes both practical and theory sessions. Classroom sessions will be supplemented by demonstrations, group activities, videos and worksheet resources. Coaches will work towards understanding core marathon racing skills, while building specific coaching tools to aid the delivery of fun and productive sessions. The course is designed to be delivered indoors and/or outdoors.
Upon completion of the ‘Marathon Racing’ Support Module, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification. Your Delivery Centre will then issue a certificate of attendance.