The British Canoeing Awarding Body River Raft Guide Grade 2(3) award is aimed at anyone over the age of 18 who would like to take groups of people white water rafting on natural rivers.
River Raft Guide Grade 2(3) Overview
Required to attend the British Canoeing Awarding Body River Raft Guide Grade 2(3) Training. On completion of training, and other assessment prerequisites, candidates can put themselves forward for assessment.
Should the candidate have achieved the British Canoeing Awarding Body Stadium Raft Guide and have a minimum of 60 hours logged stadium guiding, they do not need to attend a River Raft Guide Grade 2(3) Training but must ensure they have all the river and rope work requirements for assessment.
Optional and free-of-charge. Leadership eLearning
Finding a River Raft Guide Grade 2(3) Course
To find a course in your area, contact your Delivery Centre by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
The qualification will let you work under the guidance of a qualified British Canoeing Raft Trip Leader.
Core Skills Covered
Part A – Personal Paddling Skills
Part B – Rescue Skills
Part C – Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
Part D – Theory
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the River Raft Guide Award syllabus.
- Attended a British Canoeing Awarding Body River Raft Guide Grade 2(3) Training course
- National Association membership
- Current First Aid certificate (16 hours) with CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
- It is advised that the candidate has undertaken the WWSR or Rescue 3 WRT Pro qualification. You may APL this with supporting evidence and recommendation by a Level 4 or 5 Raft Guide
- Logbook – this must be a minimum of 20 hours Guiding on grade 2/3 water. This is a minimum and may be more if the Guide does not have any transferable skills from another white water discipline.
Methods of Assessment
Assessments will be a minimum of 3 hours (a minimum of 2 hours’ Guiding and 1 hour ropes/rescue skills).