The White Water Kayak Leader course delivers the skill level required to lead a group of paddlers in appropriate locations, up to moderate white water conditions and to judge the conditions and the standard of the group and make appropriate decisions along with the need to modify plans as required.
White Water Kayak Leader Overview
2-day Training / 2-day Assessment
Optional and free-of-charge. Leadership eLearning
You have 3 years to complete the course
- Relevant Leadership Training: White Water Kayak Leader training within previous 3 years
- Relevant Safety Training: White Water Safety & Rescue training or (or Rescue 3 Whitewater Rescue Technician)
- First Aid Award: Recognised 2-day First Aid within last 3 years
- Registration Fee: £39 for British Canoeing members
- Age: 16 years of age, or older
Finding a White Water Kayak Leader Course
To find a course in your area, contact your Delivery Centre by clicking the relevant logo at the bottom of this page
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
The White Water Kayak Leader course content emphasises the application of strokes to achieve suitable techniques and boat control in real situations and covers the following:
- Part A – Personal Paddling Skills
- Part B – Rescue Skills
- Part C – Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
- Part D – Theory
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the White Water Kayak Leader Syllabus.
- A variety of different types of eddies
- Suitable surf waves and stoppers
- Wave trains
- Technical paddling sections that require route choices to be made
Upon completion of the Assessment, the course provider will submit successful participants for certification.
For full details of the content covered, please refer to the White Water Kayak Leader Assessment Notes.