The White Water OC1 Leader course delivers the skill level required to lead a group of paddlers in appropriate locations, up to moderate white water conditions and to judge the conditions and the standard of the group and make appropriate decisions along with the need to modify plans as required.
White Water OC1 Leader Overview
2-day Training / 2-day Assessment
Optional and free-of-charge. Leadership eLearning
- Relevant Leadership Training: White Water OC1 Leader training within previous 3 years
- Relevant Safety Training: White Water Safety & Rescue training or (or Rescue 3 Whitewater Rescue Technician)
- First Aid Award: Recognised 2-day First Aid within last 3 years
- Registration Fee: £39 for British Canoeing Members
- Age: 16 years of age, or older
To view the associated documents with this course, click here
Core Skills Covered
- Part A – Personal Paddling Skills
- Part B – Rescue Skills
- Part C – Safety, Leadership & Group Skills
- Part D – Theory
For full details of the content covered please refer to the White Water OC1 Leader Syllabus.
Methods of Assessment
Assessments are normally run over two days, and take place on sections of white water that must include suitable river journeys.
The rivers used must be moderate white water, and include the following:
- A variety of different types of eddies
- Suitable surf waves and stoppers
- Wave trains
- Technical paddling sections that require route choices to be made
Upon completion of the Assessment the course provider will submit successful participants for certification.
For full details of the content covered please refer to the White Water OC1 Leader Assessment Notes.